Sound Byte (maigrey) wrote,
Sound Byte

Weekend Update


Packed up from work early, yet later than I planned, and gathered zen_raven and RW to head out to the Tweeter Center to see the Barenaked Ladies in concert.
We got absolutely soaked walking from the car to the amphitheater, but by the time the guys were on stage, we didn't care at all. Plus, we'd found a good use for the break between the opening band and the headliner: it gives you time to buy concert shirts (with the amazing property of being expensive, but dry) and do the change-in-front-of-everyone dance.

BNL was, as always, absolutely amazing. I wish I could remember all of the songs they did, but the highlight of the concert is always their impromptu songs. They did an off-the-cuff rap deal, and made a version of the chicken dance that is actually good. I also have a new boyfriend: Ed Roberston, who you can see in the green here. He will be mine, oh yes, he will be mine.

(thinking back on it, they didn't play Yoko Ono, but the show was so good I didn't notice it.)


Slept in late, passing on lunch with the parents and family in Indiana, fearing I wouldn't make it back in time for the K&S wedding. this also allowed me time to see if I would win my friendly bet with dbt regarding the cubs. Of course, it ran over, and I didn't get in the shower until 2:50, and Rav and Bitter Mike were picking me up at 3:20. Never fear, I got ready in time. BM met me at the door, as he was hamming up the 'arm drissing' bit for both Raven and I; he was much more interesting to be around with than the last time he was here.

Wedding was absolutely gorgeous. For some reason I can get through weddings without crying until the part where they honor their mothers or fathers by giving them flowers or some other gift. That always tears me up.

The wedding was over in about 40 minutes, leaving us about 90 minutes before the reception officially started. Raven, BM, and I decided to hit the mall, as I was wearing a light sweater which was extremely hot in the 80 degree muggy weather. Turns out that BM has more fashion sense than Rav and I together, so the mall trip was a good time -- I got a nice shirt for 8 dollars! We also got shoes, and stopped to find BM a tie. I swear, finding a tie for this boy is like finding The Perfect Purse -- and we don't have 10 perfect purses in our lives.

In any case, we roll into the reception later than the official start time, but those things never start on time anyway; all we missed was a half hour of open bar, and some time to catch up with all of the friends who flew in for the wedding. That was the best part about the wedding -- getting to see all the people I haven't seen for the past year, as they're scattered all over the country. Raven and BM headed home right after the 1st all-couples slow dance, so I found bene and consigned her to driving me home since she might be staying with me anyway.

it was a good thing I did so -- I had so much fun dancing, in addition to watching the effects the open bar had on everyone. The DJ was much better after the dinner than during, and I had an excellent time, as did everyone else there, and we have the pictures to prove it! Note to the engaged couples out there: don't hand out those disposable cameras unless you're willing to look at pictures taken in the craziest places.

The party continued on to the bar near the hotel after the reception ended, but I had to awake early for church the next morning; Rene was kind enough to drop me off at home before she headed off that way.


Woke up way too early with the desperate urge to use the toilet. Unfortunately, the step mother was in the shower upstairs so I had to head down a flight of stairs and listen to my legs scream in agony on the way down and back up again. It was a good kind of agony, though, if there is such a thing -- the result of a well spent night.

I headed back upstairs to let another hour's worth of sleep before church. I overslept. Go figure. My dad said, when he woke me up to tell me my mother was on the phone, "Oh, I figured you were sleeping in because of your wild night!" I thought about it long and hard, but decided to go to church anyway, so for the second day in a row, I did the mad thirty minute dash to get ready and out the door.

After church, it was time to go down to the south side for J&L's wedding reception; they'd gotten married two weeks before in California, but held a reception in Chicago to share with the people they grew up and went to school with. It was purposefully planned so the people who flew in for K&S's wedding would also be in town for the J&L reception, so I got to see more of the people who were in town for the weekend, which was a very good thing.

Of course, it was humorous to see the people who were making good use of the open bar the night before pour themselves into the chairs and couches at the wedding reception the next day. LS didn't remember anything of what he did, including the long, deep, insightful conversation LD had with him that night after everyone went home; KCL felt much better after some caffeine, but before that, she was saying "oooh, I need to sit down."

In any case, the wedding reception was lovely, visiting friends was amazing, and a good time was had by all.

... although I never did get the milk my dad wanted me to get on the way home Sunday, so he ended up running out to get it himself.

... and my house is mine again for a very long time; the folks headed back to Arizona on Monday afternoon. Yay!

  • Tired.

    Being in the office at 8:30 am means getting up at 5 because I hate traffic and traffic starts at 6:30. Wah. But I did get more Caribou. YOMS.

  • Making orthodontia better

    + ...I have about 4 hours before I can't eat anything that isn't soft...

  • For Lori.

    I hate you pollen. HATE YOU.

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

  • 1 comment