Sound Byte (maigrey) wrote,
Sound Byte

  • Music:

Weekend update - bluff magazine, eternal sunshine of the spotless mind, sump pump woes

What a crazy weekend! Unfortunately, it was not really all in a GOOD way, but it could have been worse, too.

It took two hours to get to the boats, which is just insane right there. As soon as I got in, there was a seat at the $1k max game, and I tossed my stuff down in my usual seat, and went to cash in. Of course, there was only one cashier going, and the person ahead of me was cashing out for above the 'need a supervisor' limit, so I decided to see if Shelley was still around, which she was. I said hello, and chatted for a tiny bit before getting back in line to get chips.

As soon as I sit down and start playing with my popsicle-temperature cards (I couldn't even get cards that I could play 6-handed, seriously - it took about 2 hours for me to win a single pot, ugh), the floor announced over the in-room intercom that they would be taking pictures of the room for Bluff magazine, and if we didn't want our picture taken, we should leave the room for a few minutes. Good thing I'd taken the time to run upstairs and put the curling iron to my head and change into a nicer than usual shirt before I left, eh? Especially since after about 10 minutes, the photographer and escort came over and announced that they were going to be taking closeups of our table, and we'd have to sign release forms.

At this point, a guy directly behind me at Shelley's 3/6 table behind me said, "Hey, why not our table?!?!" I rolled my eyes and turned around and remarked, "Because we're playing with the green chips." He deflated and turned around to go back to his game.

So, who knows, maybe you'll get to see my mug in glossy print sometime soon!

IronMike asked me where Mark was as we were on the cusp of having enough players to start up the CMG. Since I'd talked to him the day before, and knew he was going out that night, I assumed (correctly) that Mark wasn't going to show up until at least 8, as he'd be catching up on work that he wasn't able to do the night before due to the birthday dinner. Mark called IronMike a little later, and this was the case. He finally said he'd be there around 9:00 or so, and when that time had rolled around and he wasn't there, I decided to give him a call. Poor thing was stuck in traffic and asked us to just start the game up and he'd be there as soon as possible. So we did.

There wasn't anything terribly eventful about the game (which is mixed $10/$25 NLHE, $10/$25 PLO), except that because we were missing some regulars, I was the best PLO player at the table by far. I'm so unused to being in this situation and it was rather cool! Instead of the usual getting help from LawyerMark about my NLHE game, the tables were turned and I was actually helping him with his PLO game. Crazy. Too bad the chips didn't remember that I was the best PLO player there, and I ended up down for the night, but mostly from the $1k game - I was about even at the CMG. I would have been up for the night, too, had I left at 2am instead of the 4 am that I actually got out of there. Got my butt in bed at 5 am, and set the alarm for noon so I could make my 1 pm appointment the next day.


Made it to my 1pm just a little late, which turned out to be ok as Alice was running a little late herself. Talked about a lot of stuff, and then I went grocery shopping. I'd though about going to the shelter and looking at puppies, but they closed at 3pm and it was about 2:10, so I didn't want to cut it that close. Plus, I was pretty exhausted.

So instead, I went grocery shopping, and had sushi for lunch (yum yum), and crashed out for an hour. Putzed around the house, took the dog for a walk, and then debated going to the movies and catching either Just like heaven or Transporter 2, but eventually decided I didn't feel like it. Instead, I watched the premiere of Supernatural (Jared Padalecki is a total cutie), and then watched Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind off the Tivo.

I still truly dislike La Dunst still, and she almost spoiled the movie for me, but it was great anyway. Now I just need to watch Big Fish and I'll have cleared the movies off the Tivo!

Then, off to bed, and I finished off Lee Childs's latest novel - One Shot. I really liked it - the Jack Reacher character is interesting, and the plot twists were well done.


The Bears rocked, 5 interceptions, 28 points off turnovers, take that Minnesota. HAH.

After a much needed nap (Friday nights always throw off my sleep schedule and such for the weekend when I get home at daybreak...) I decided to do laundry. I started the laundry and did some work on the computer, and just as I was about to close the laptop, my dad phoned. I had expected him to call much earlier, like around 3:30 after the early football games, but for some reason he didn't. (and you'll see why)

As I'm talking to him, the laundry goes into the final spin cycle, and BLOOP BLOOP BLOOP water starts coming out of the drain by the water heater. CRRRAP. I give my dad the play by play and turn around and the carpet around the sump is a nice shade of damp as well. I proceed to freak out and I'm sure my dad felt utterly loved because it was an immediate "I want my DAAAAD come FIX THIS!" reaction.

Fortunately, the sump pump eventually started working and the water drained, and then the sump wouldn't TURN OFF. ARGH! I unplugged it and proceeded to moan to my dad about how much this sucks.

Unfortunately, there's only so much he can do from Arizona. Hmph. At least he knows how I feel when he asks me to solve a computer question and I can't actually see the screen. He does give me a guess that it's probably the pressure switch and those are relatively easy and cheap to fix.

Yeah, if you're not a white bread suburban chick like me. But, I am computer literate and decide to go see how much these things cost and then find out that it's likely that the float is just stuck to the wall. I go back downstairs with a flashlight and peer into the sump through the motor smoke. Yep, the float is resting right on top of the intake pipe, and I knock it off into its normal position. I then cautiously plug the sucker back in, and nothing happens. Which is good, it's probably fixed.

... but I'm still afraid to do laundry for fear of the sump not starting.
Tags: homeowner, poker

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded