The weekend was, of course, pretty great. I didn’t get to play the bigger limit games that I wanted to play, but that was a small disappointment in a sea of exceeded expectations, and unexpected suprises.
I’m just going to say it right now: I love the wives! This was by far the most unexpected and pleasant surprise to meet 5 of the most amazing women I didn’t know, and wasn’t expecting to hang out with at all. I certainly never expected to turn down an opportunity to play poker in order to go on escapades with these women, and that’s the highest compliment there is for a poker player. You heard it right here, these women are cooler than poker in Vegas.
I suppose if I really thought about it, I should have realized that these women had to be pretty fantastic to put up with degenerate gamblers, right? Thank you to Eva (Mrs. Hang), Michelle (Mrs. Otis), Beth (Mrs. G-Rob), Kristie (Mrs. Blood) and Rachel (Mrs. Head) for making the trip and making my Vegas experience unforgettable.
Now, more for jogging my memory later, the weekend in bullet point format:
- Arrive in Vegas, pick up car, drive to the Orleans, check in
- Try to hook up with Pokeramama, but get his voicemail
- Head to the Bellagio to play $2-$5 $200 buyin NL, as I’m too tired to try the $10-$20 NL game
- Don’t realize this is the only time I’m going to sit at the Bellagio poker tables, dammit
- Lose 3 buyins after being up $20.
- Go back to hotel at wee hours of the morning and sleep
- Wake up about 10 am
- Go downstairs and play craps in order to get free mochas
- Lose $44 after being up $20
- Lose valet ticket
- Manage to get car anyway, tip valet big
- Go to Plaza to meet FelEEEEEEcia, and find out she’s not there
- Call Pauly to figure out where the heck everyone is, find out they’re upstairs
- Play Pai-gow while waiting for the good doctor, win $10. This should have warned me how the weekend was going to go, but like I’m going to listen
- Go to the Excalibur to play poker with Pauly, Derek et all
- Meet Joe Speaker in skanky non-Joe Speaker clothing and don’t recognize him
- Which could be because I’d never met him before, but I doubt that
- Lose $40 playing $2-6 spread at the Excal, switch to the $1-$3 NL game
- Lose $80 at the $1-$3 NL game.
- Go with Gracie, and GracieGuests to all you can eat sushi
- Eat Way Too Much Sushi with FelEEEEEEEcia, Joe Speaker, Wes, Wes’s Friend Tim, Mr. & Mrs. Head, Joe VegasVegas, the Gracies, Tanya, and some 2+2ers.
- Go to MGM and play in $2-$5 $200 min / $500 max while waiting for the mixed games to start
- Lose $100 in $2/$5 mixed game
- But I could have won if I didn’t get up to play the mixed game, because the game was so good.
- Go play mixed HORSE game with sushi folks
- Try and get as many people as possible to drink toasted almonds
- Try and play other table of mixed game with the Al Can’t Hang Experience, get dissed because they fill up the seat
- Meet Patrick Swayze
- Do shot with Al Can’t Hang and manage to keep shot of SoCo down
- Try and get people to play craps, dammit.
- Lose $100 or so in the Mixed Game; I’m sure it all went to Felicia
- Head downtown to the Plaza, play some $2/$4 with the gang, lose some money
- Find out the Plaza has no max on their NL game, play NL until the sun comes up and then some (lose $250 to The Fat Guy when he hits his set to my cowboys)
- But, I get the highest compliment ever from Hank and Iggy (that I can play poker)
- Drag butt back up to the Orleans to sleep for 4 hours (1 more than the 3 hours of sleep a night Eva says the body needs)
Friday, Saturday and Sunday to come, it's late, the plane ride was short, and I need to get up tomorrow. Suffice it to say there was lots of drinking, screaming "PAIGOW!!", dancing on bars and slutty tiaras involved.